Land of the wacky and the weird

|
Last weekend I went on a typical Winnipeg holiday: Grand Forks, North Dakota. I did the usually things: packed my bag with only the bare essentials, making sure to leave enough room for my purchases, I filled my tank to half full (because that's how much it takes to get there, and gas is 2.69 a gallon there; translating to about 71 cents a litre!) and went on my way with my boyfriend, Taylor.

It's funny, Grand Forks is only two hours away, but things are so different in the states. When shopping at Hugo's Grocery store, I found the most hilarious things. One of the things that stood out were these instant brownies,cookies and cake. You just add water and microwave for 30 seconds and you have an insant baked goods. Gotta admit, I had one, and it was great.

Here are some of the other weird, wacky and beautiful things I found:


Diet Coke sweetened with Splenda. I love this idea and wonder when we will be getting it in Canada! A lot of people are apprehensive about Diet Coke because it is loaded with Aspartame, which some say causes Cancer (but really, what doesn't these days?) I wonder though..in regular Coke there is 26 grams of sugar. Is there 26 grams of Splenda in this? That can't be good for you.







This is an ad I came across when I was at Happy Joe's for their delicious lunch buffet (oh how I love buffets..). It was in the bathroom and it made me stop and laugh. The girl that is posing looks like she is some kind of adult-star. Her picture really doesn't contribute anything to the gymnastics program. The funniest though, is the kid in bottom right-hand corner. At a glance he looks like he is crying and flipping the bird. Again, not having anything to do with gymnastics.




This is a poster ad that was in Hugo's Grocery store. Someone is selling their Elvis Suit. It comes with belt, cape, wig, side burns, gloves, scarf and lies. It's $400.

Talk about a niche market.







Cherry 7-up with antioxidants! Really? Healthy pop?


Yes, there is MORE healthy pop! Coke Plus, enriched with Vitamins and Minerals. I don't know if this is absolutely insane or genius!




While I was in RRC, a 'cowboy' store in Columbia Mall, there was a radio ad for anti drinking and smoking. Only in America.
I'll share more pictures later!!

2 comments:

Miss Stacia Franz said...

LOL that gymnastics pose is normal, the concentration is on her pointed toes, knees together, chin up and smiling... fundamentals of "kindergym" as we call it. Ad should have used an older gymnast doing something flexible or strength worthy I think... The pic is probably of the owners daughter.
Nice post Angele :)

Kiley said...

I think the US just puts all these healthy claims on their products so that people there feel good about themselves after consuming their third 7up with antioxidants. Does anyone actually believe any of this stuff?