Ineffective advertising

|
Okay, so there is this ad that just drives me wild - and not in the good way.

It's for Benylin, the cold medicine.

So most of us take cold medicine to feel better, at least enough, to go about our day. The whole point of taking medicine is to get better so you can get on with your life.

Well in this ad, Benylin is saying 'take a Benylin day'. The girl takes a Benylin and then goes back to bed for the day. But, why would I still feel sick enough to stay in bed all day if you're fly medicine works so well? Shouldn't I be able to go to work if I take it? Competitors like Nyquil, Advil and Tylenol advertise how their medicine will make you feel well enough to go about your day.

To me, the 'Big Idea' of this ad is counterintuitive. It really bugs me. But hey, here I am writing a blog about it, so something is working. At least it's memorable.


2 comments:

Yvonne Raymond said...

I never thought of it this way until you pointed it out the other day... now I can't stand 'the big idea'! Great speculation Angele (sorry there's no accent grave on the e, I forgot how to do it again).

Kenton Larsen said...

Good analysis. And that's not just the Tylenol talkin'.