Pedaheh

|
I am not Ukrainian.

I know this doesn't surprise most of you ( I am Canadienne-Francais). But on Thursday, February 18th, 2010, I set out to do the Ukrainian way and make perogies from scratch.

My boyfriend, Taylor, is Ukrainian and his mom and her sister, Olga, make amazing perogies. I thought that I should learn how to make perogies since I need to carry on the tradition down the road.

So, I bought my ingredients and started to make the filling and dough. Twenty-four potatoes, an onion and 18 cups of flour later, I had my dough and filling.

I let it sit for a day and on Friday started to roll out the dough. Man, was that ever a work out! It is so elastic so it's really hard to get it as thin as you need. Plus, there was a heck of a lot of dough!

For two hours alone, I made about 100 perogies. I cut the dough into squares, stuffed up with my delicious filing and then pinched away. After a while, Taylor and his mom helped me so it went a lot faster. We ended up with almost 200 perogies!

So now, I think I got the perogy thing down. I would much rather just eat them them make them though!

Sorry I don't have any pictures to share, it's hard to touch a camera with doughy fingers!

2 comments:

Sandy Klowak said...

Good job! The first time I made them they turned out really weird because we accidentally used wet cottage cheese instead of dry. I like cheddar better anyway. And yes it can be horrible doing it all yourself-- I get curtis to pinch with me so it's not so bad.

Now I'm working on perfecting my holopchi (cabbage rolls)-- they never taste like Baba's...

Danielle Conolly said...

I'll feel better about the lack of pictures if you share some of the pierogies... ;)

Just kidding. Good work Angele! You sound like quite the cook!