mom, I need vodka - it's an emergency!

|
Today I was wondering what the drinking age was in New Brunswick. It's not something I usually think about, but today it was bugging me that I didn't know.

So I went on Wikipedia, the professor's nightmare, to check. 
(Side note: Thanks Kenton for standing up for Wikipedia. I too have never had any problems with factuality. I always double check it and it's always right!)

I found some hilarious things about drinking ages across the world, which I would like to share with you.

In Egypt, you have to be 18 to buy beer. But you have to be 21 to buy wine and spirits. 

In some countries like Denmark, Cuba and well known Swaziland, there is no drinking age, only a purchase age, which is 18. But if you were to acquire alcohol or have someone buy it for you, that's okay. 

In some states in India like Delhi, you have to be 25 to drink! 

In Taiwan, the drinking age is 18 and "One shall not supply alcohol to anyone under the age of 6" I thought that was just common sense. 

In some countries like Finland, you have to be 18 to buy alcohol up to 22%, but 20 to buy anything with a higher percentage. 

But, my favorite is in the United Kingdom. You must be at least 5 to drink in private, 16 in public with a meal and 18 otherwise. But here's the kicker "Children under 5 must not be given alcohol unless under medical supervision or in an emergency". 


Charlie might need some to heal his finger. Come on mom, it's an emergency!

1 comments:

Kenton Larsen said...

Yay, I can leave a comment now!